Sunday, October 28, 2007

Week 7

Week 7 was the week to complete my technology project. I tried a new piece of software Podium for creating a podcast. It was easy to use and had a place where I could put the script. My problem was since it was a demo it would not let me publish the podcast. This caused me major issues on Sunday when I was trying to publish. I did like the software so I purchased a copy through my supplier at school.
I completed my podcast using Audacity. It was easy to use and gave me some great ideas on how to use it with my students. I conducated a literature review from Questia as I could find 4-5 great articles in peer review journals. It is really interesting how you can use this technology in the classroom.
I am experimenting with Windows Movie Maker and creating a vodcast. I have some power point slides that go with my podcast that I would like to use. I think that this technology can help students that miss class and need to understand what took place.
I am trying to get my fellow teachers interested in new technologies. They seem to think it will not help their students. I am open to suggestions on how to get this accomplished.

6 comments:

Bill Goldstein said...

Interesting problem Ruth! The truth is that ICT has yet to prove itself effective in the classroom!You and I both know it is, probably because we are a bit more familiar with the tools than others. Still, current research is very blah on results for student learning enhancement. Don't forget, other resources are excellent and have been going for a much longer time - and they've been refined all along. You have to suggest baby steps to your colleagues. Send them a simple power point ( that they can do too! ) by email! They'll get the idea.
Bill

tgreen said...

Hi Bill,

Interesting comment about ICT. What is your measure of effectiveness?

Tim

Meredith said...

Ruth,
I share in your frustration when other teachers do not embrace the technologies that we find exciting. Can you imagine how the students feel?

Meredith said...

Ruth,
How do I get access to you project?

Frank said...

Ruth:

I agree with Bill that most people being introduced to the use of technology need to be provided with a step-by-step approach. I try to begin by providing a final product which they can experience. I then offer to assist them if they think it can be useful for their content and their style of instruction. I would say nevertheless five years I have had about 50% rate of acceptance of new technologies at various levels.

Frank

Ruth E Manlandro said...

My project is on the doc sharing as is the literature review.
ICT does have yet to prove itself in the classroom. The science teacher posted the podcast on her Edline account for 8th grade so that students could review the experiment or complete it at home if they missed the class.