Saturday, September 15, 2007

Week 2
The reading this week was pretty straight forward, there was a review on learning theories and their applications in the classroom. The authors focused on learning theories and multimedia for classroom use. I am going to give some ideas to the teachers at my school that are willing to use technology in the classroom.
Setting up the Windows Live Messenger. I already had this installed on my computer since I have a MSN email and use this to commuicate with some of my friends on a regular basis. I have added my EDUC 8823 classmates to my list of contacts. I have had several successful conversations this week via Windows Live Messenger.
Blogging this is not a new item for me. I setup a blog at CPS last spring for parents to contact one another as a means to buy and sell books that students need for the next year. My daughter was in England at Cambridge University from September 2006 until May 2007, the main means of communication was blogging. She posted pictures and told of her travels through Europe, not to mention her adjustment to English life. I can see many applications of this for use in the classroom. I am going to talk to some of my teachers. The third grade is doing flat Stanley right now, this would be a great way of learning his adventures through the world.
I am going to invite my classmates to join my blog today. I look forward to using this emerging technology as well as others as the class progresses.

7 comments:

Gavin O'Neill said...

Hi Ruth,

I aslo had a msn messenger account so that was easy, lol. Still haven't figured out how to invite peopele to the blog, but my task to-day is to do that, lol.
I went to Leicester University in England, not to far from Cambridge, how did she like it? I am originally from Dublin Ireland. Did she get use to the weather and the tea???
Gavin

BeckyYard said...

Hi Ruth-

I think this would be a great way to do a Flat Stanley project. We did something similar with a bunny several years ago. The bunny had a little backpack and he was sent all around the world. People put messages in his backpack for the kids along with pictures and other information. He had some interesting travels. He arrived back at school during the last week of school and the kids had a great time reading the messages and seeing the pictures.

They communicated by email to track his progress and make sure he didn't get bogged down anywhere along the way. It was a great experience for everyone. I can see how a blog would help in this whole process and could take care of the need for a backpack. The pictures could be posted, too. Neat idea.

Shane said...

Hi Ruth--I see you are not new to blogging. I may need to seek your advice from time to time. You have some great ideas for using blogging in the classroom. Thanks for sharing, Shane.

kristyheath said...

Hi Ruth,
I was introduced to the Flat Stanley project this past summer. I'd like to do something similar in my high school classroom. Neat concept!
Kristy

Meredith said...

Hi Ruth!
Your blog looks great. I have read about how elementary classrooms have used Flat Stanley to teach geography, culture, and current events with emails and post cards. I think a blog would be an excellent application.

Since you would be opening your comments up to anyone/anywhere, would you see the need to moderate the comments, so they will not be posted to the public (or to your students) until they've passed your screening first?
Meredith

tgreen said...

Hi Ruth,

Just stopping by to say hello.

Tim

Frank said...

Hi Ruth:

Your daughter's Blog will be great to view in the future. It will have some many things in it to bring back the memories. Great idea, wish Blogs were around when I was traveling and studing. I just have the slides.

Frank